Friday, March 24, 2006

Setting goals

I've set goals in my life... Empty goals, to be exact.

In school, I didn't really set goals to reach a certain no. of As or Credits, or passes.....
Upon graduation, I didn't really set goals to what I want to do in my career life....
When I got married, I didn't set goals as to when I want to start a family until baby came....

BUT, when I became a mother, I set lots of goals. Some met. Some not. One of which is to breastfeed Brendan until he reaches 6 months. I did, but not 100% cos by 4 months I had to supplement with formula. I pumped, travelled every Friday night from KL to Johor by LRT, then by bus, carrying a cooler box FULL of frozen breastmilk just to let my dear son get his breastmilk. I did that every weekend. It takes between 4 hours to 6 hours max. to get home to Brendan who was with my mum at that time. Even after I stopped breastfeeding, my weekly journey continued up to the time I was 8 months pregnant with no. 2.

By the time no. 2 came, I set a goal to breastfeed Eryn 100% until 6 months. I did. Then I set it even further - to breastfeed Eryn until she's1 year old. Eryn is almost 10 months now and she is still 100% on breastmilk and haven't started on formula yet.

That's really funny. Imagine your priority and sacrifice as a mother. To think I wouldn't really care less about setting goals and meeting them. For the first time in my life, I'm proud to say that I set it, despite all the obstacles, and I did it! How? I did it MY WAY...

11 comments:

ZMM said...

I think Goals you set for yourself for the sake of your kids are easier to fulfill and see through than goals you set for yourself for your sake.

Well done on still 100% breast feeding Eryn. I managed to do it for 1yr.. and now, targetting to wean her off by 2yrs.. (hubby thinks that's too long)

Babysmooches said...

zara's mama, am wondering how Eryn will adapt during the weaning process later cos she's so dependant on me after work till morning!

mom2ashley said...

way to go sharon!!! fully bfing for eryn till 10 months? that's a good achievement!

jazzmint said...

guess u are very determine when comes to goal for ur children :). So fast 10 months liao hoh...time flies.

Babysmooches said...

mumsgather, the will-power of a mother. :-)

mom2ashley, yup. another 2 months to my goal...

jazzmint, ya man, time really flies

Princess Mom said...

I still remember how you use to go to Kluang every weekend transporting your bm. That alone is something really admirable. Must get some tips from you about 100% breastfeeding!

Tracy said...

What can I say? *clap clap clap* BRAVO!!! Thumbs up for u! Brendan and Eryn should be so proud to have a mommy like u. U are such a "great and wonderful" mommy!

Pearl Wong-Tey said...

it's such a nice thing, to be able to BF your daughter..
i didn't get to BF my son one bit as i was on medication throughout my pregnancy for antenatal depression.. :(

Babysmooches said...

hmom, you can do it. Buzz me if you need some help.

tracy, nothing beats a mother's sacrifice, right? :-)

pearlvanoyster, I wanted to give up in the early stages, but the strong will pushed me on....

Babysmooches said...

From : http://babysmooches.blogspot.com/2007/10/5-posts-link-to-keywords.html

...Link FOUR must be about YOUR LOVE: "Setting Goals"...

My love for my kids makes me do the things I wouldn't do...

Anonymous said...

Hi baby smooches


I am a new mom to a 2month old boy. I have the same goal as you, i.e to breastfeed for a year or maybe longer. Its great to read about your bfeeding stories. am keeping my fingers crossed that everything goes as plan..I work in a highly stressful environment.

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails